Header start

Content start

Issuance of Certificate of Permission to Take Entrance Examinations

For international students who apply from abroad, a "Certificate of Permission to Take Entrance Examinations" will be issued as necessary to those who have passed the first screening. Please contact us by e-mail if you require the "Certificate of Permission to Take Entrance Examinations." Please present the "Certificate of Permission to Take Entrance Examinations" at a Japanese embassy or consulate and obtain a visa to enter the country for the purpose of taking an exam before coming to Japan.
Inquiries: grad_admissions@info.keio.ac.jp

Applying for a Certificate of Eligibility by Proxy

In order to apply for a visa, applicants need Certificate of Eligibility issued by the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau in Japan. The Certificate of Eligibility will enable them to obtain a visa more easily. Successful applicants requiring Keio University to apply for Certificate of Eligibility on their behalf should send the completed Application for Certificate of Eligibility and other necessary documents to Office of Student Services by a designated date. Applicants for Spring round need to send necessary documents for COE along with their application documents.
Keio University will make the application for the Certificate of Eligibility on their behalf at the Immigration Bureau in Japan. When the Immigration Bureau sees no problem about the applicant entering Japan, they will inform Keio University and issue the Certificate of Eligibility, which is delivered to each applicant residing outside Japan. Once the applicants obtain the Certificate of Eligibility, they must go to the Japanese consulate / embassy in their country to apply for a college student visa.


1. Application for Certificate of Eligibility / [SAMPLE] Application for Certificate of Eligibility
Please complete the form in reference to the sample. Uncompleted application is not acceptable. Please be careful about filling in your information.
2. One photograph (4cm×3cm, color)
The photo must be clear enough without background, must be taken within 6 months before the application procedure and cover upper body with uncovered head.
3. Proof of Bank Account Balance or Scholarship Award that will cover academic fees and expenses for the first year of applicant’s enrollment. It should be either English or Japanese.
*Each document of all persons listed on the item 26(3) supporter of the Application form should be submitted.
4. A copy of your passport showing your name, nationality, photo, passport number, and passport expiration date.


1. Keio University applies, on behalf of an applicant, for a college student visa. Those who wish other visa status must apply on their own.
2. Those applicants who decline offers of admission must have their Certificate of Eligibility sent back to Keio University immediately.
3. Applicants admitted to any other program(s) should notify it to Keio University. They cannot make multiple applications for the Certificate of Eligibility.
4. Some cases the Immigration Bureau may require additional materials.

Changing / Renewing Status of Residence
for Residents in Japan

If you need to update your Status of Residence or change it to "Student," please carry out the procedures by yourself at the Immigration Bureau. Keio University will prepare "Forms 1 and 2 to be prepared by affiliated institution" of the application documents. Please also report to the Office of Student Services if you require an "acceptance letter" to apply to the Immigration Bureau, for scholarships, or student housing.


Those who have a Status of Residence of "Permanent Resident," "Long Term Resident," "Diplomat," "Spouse or Child of Japanese National," etc., do not need to undertake any special procedures. Only those wishing to change their Status of Residence to "Student" for scholarship applications, etc., should carry out the procedures.

Inquiries Concerning Status of Residence

Even if you bring the "acceptance letter" issued by Keio University to carry out the procedures to apply for a visa or change or renew your Status of Residence, it is not guaranteed that your application will be successful. Please check everything you are uncertain about in advance and be sure to have all procedures completed so that you will be granted the appropriate visa by the day of enrollment.


Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau Student Inspection Department
Address: 5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8255
Tel: 03-5796-7234 (general number)

Navigation start